Because of where I live political demonstrations are common. The number of police in the central park tell you what is going on for the day. The military and police provide an enormous number of jobs for people here and they never seem to be short-handed. I was on my way to go shopping when I about a hundred ran past me in full riot gear with helmets and shields and guns. They half-blocked the street and made a wall with their shields and then all just stood around as if this was totally normal.
I guess that's because it is. It was just a small group of students shouting about wanting free education.
But because there are so many people around who might decide to join them they don't take any chances. I am thankful for the safety of life here, though I cannot take anything for granted. We know who is really in control.
No comments:
Post a Comment