Saturday, April 23, 2011

Reverse Culture Shock

I hadn’t even left Turkey when reverse culture-shock hit.  In the airport a German man began asking an American woman questions about how her trip was and as she replied in “normal” everyone-in-the-whole-airport-can-hear tones I almost couldn’t resist the urge to shush her.  The more she talked on, oblivious to how much she was sticking out, the more irritated and uncomfortable I became.  You just don’t talk that loud here in public.  But she didn’t know that, so I kept my mouth shut and thought about how acculturated I have become.

The airport in Germany was one of the quietest places I have ever been.  Maybe Germans are even quieter in public than Turks.  It was really nice for getting some letter writing done.

My niece asked for if I wanted something while I was drinking juice so I used the convenient Turkish was of saying “no” by simply raising my eyebrows, and then turned away.  Shortly after, I realized that in my present culture this gesture did not communicate the meaning that I had intended.  I explained and my family had a fun time trying out this new way of saying no.

No comments:

Post a Comment