Saturday, April 3, 2010

Transition

I was reading an article about culture shock my team leader gave me though I have felt more comfortable here even than last time and more than I expected.  It has helped immensely to be with my teammates who have lived here for many years. 
I wish I could explain to you how normal it feels to walk down the street and stop and buy lunch or go in a shop.  There are very few things that we don't have here.  I am actually overwhelmed by all the choices.
Last month I was memorizing Psalm 84 and I discovered new meaning there today.
"My soul longs, yes, faints
   for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and flesh sing for joy
   to the living God.
Even the sparrow finds a home,

  and the swallow a nest for herself...
at your altars,
O LORD of hosts,
 my King and my God."
       Even though I may learn the language well and feel comfortable with the customs, I will never be at home here, or in America.  Wherever I am, my place of comfort and strength will always be at the altar worshipping my God.  I will forever be on a pilgrimage to my true home in heaven.  But I am blessed! 
"For the LORD God is a sun and shield;

   the LORD bestows favor and honor.

No good thing does he withhold

  from those who walk uprightly.

O LORD of hosts,

  blessed is the one who trusts in you!
       My God is good and He gives me all I need every day.  Today I was sharing with friends how much of a blessing it has been that I stayed with my leaders for this first week.  How wonderful to get to know them better and enjoy time together.  I never would have planned it that way, but my Father knew best.

No comments:

Post a Comment