Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Purchases

I went to the international fellowship here today.  It was such a blessing to be able to sing in English, and Turkish, and Korean!  It's a diverse group and I think that is cool because it is more like how heaven will be.  I went out to lunch with my co-workers and then they had a welcoming party for me.  It is good to already know people here who are helping me get settled in and feel at home.
Here's what I ordered for lunch:

It's called pide and is sort of like pizza with less cheese and delicious chunks of meat.



Later I decided to venture out to the market by myself and see if I could get a few of the things I needed and practice my limited Turkish.    I was looking at the socks and the seller asked me where I was from.  I told her and then tried to say I just arrived 3 days ago and my Turkish isn't very good but I will be be staring class soon.  I wrote down her name and she said I could call her "chorapchi teyze" which means "Auntie sock-seller" and told me to come back on Wednesday to the market and see her again.  It's encouraging to have a Turkish friend already.
Here's me and my socks and new towel.  Apparently I pronounced the word for towel wrong because it took them awhile to figure out what I was looking for, but I got one!  Next week, I'll give you a tour of my apartment and neighborhood!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandi!
    This story reminded me of some song lyrics:

    "It's every tribe, every tongue, every nation
    A love song born of a grateful choir"

    Keep getting out and trying your new language skills-you will enjoy the new culture more and make more new friends.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete